The purpose of this “site visit,” was to gain exposure to the “real life” of a Peace Corps Volunteer. That way, s/he can decide if being the only white person in a town that doesn’t speak English while trying to help people in a different culture and not get sick or die from heat exhaustion or parasites is really for him/her.
And as it would turn out… I think it just might be!! All joking aside, I visited an amazing volunteer who has done and continues to do some incredible projects with the people in her community. And, true to the purpose of the visit, I participated in several of them… even tried out my Spanish in front of a group for the first time! (Note: if you’re looking for an icebreaker involving animal noises and blindfolds in Spanish, let me know)
Not surprisingly, the culture in Costa Rica is very different than that in the U.S. Which is exactly why when asked why I was looking for my sandals on Sunday morning, I told my host mom in Los Mangos that “my sandals lost me.” Saying my sandals “were gone” implies (she) or someone had taken them. Not a way to make friends in a new town. It took about 5 minutes before it was decided that a dog had taken them and that was that. Both the right and the left, of the same pair, from the middle of a pile of several other shoes. Smart dog.
Overall, it was an intense 4 days of relaxation/learning/sweat/fun/anxiety/sun/awkwardness/meet-n-greets/elation/and cultural integration. But, it was the best experience I have had since being here- mission accomplished.
![]() |
| March 2009 |

2 comments:
I'm glad that the lost in translation is happening since it was the same for me in DE. Costa Rica looks a lot more exotic than I thought it would be, but it is farther south than Belize.
Miss you tons and try to write back when you can. I know your busy.
Lou Dog was just telling me how he hasn't had a good pair of sandals to chew up in months...he doesn't understand the whole winter/summer shoe thing. He'll be jealous to hear another dog took yours! :)
Glad you had an awesome experience on your recent excursion!
Post a Comment