I woke up this morning around 7:30, and decided that although it IS the weekend, I have a ton of laundry to do and I need to take advantage of the hot and sunny morning. So up I went and began the washing...
Which was quite the arduous task because I had to include my sheets and blankets in that process... very unfortunately (read: disgustingly) I picked up scabies while staying at a dodgey hotel after the all volunteer dinner.
After that was out on the newly strung (packer colors) line, I did a little house cleaning, picked up some money I was owed from a neighbor 15 min away, then started breakfast!!
As far as the rest of the day goes... come what may. Fortunately everything has dried so I won't be held hostage to the inevitable afternoon rain. I'll probably head into town to pick up some more householdish items-stools, dishes, lightbulbs. And speaking of lightbulbs...
The second night after moving in, I had a bit of an incident with a lightbulb. I had just finished eating dinner and was enjoying a pineapple/orange yogurt cup on the sofa when suddenly the kitchen light when out. Almost as a reflex, I turned around to look at it when there was a loud POP! and a shower of sparks. Outside it was down pouring so I figured some water had leaked it and it had short circuited. Suddenly the shower of sparks turned into a series of flames and the fixture was on fire. I jumped up, turned the switch off and immediately turned to the breaker box expecting an explosion. Frantically I filled a coffee mug with water as the flames reached higher and higher toward my plywood ceiling. Fortunately, all it took was 2 mugs full of water and the fire was out.
Very typical of costa rican homes, there are no smoke detectors, bars on the windows, and no home addresses in the event you'd need to call the fire dept. Oh well...I lived to tell the story.
3 comments:
Haha, oh my gosh! I LOVED this post! The photos are soooooo chivas! I love "a day in the life of benci"
The photos are great! These are of your new home, yes? How are you liking livin' solo?
it's greeeeeeat! very relaxing with a lot less rice.
Post a Comment