Weeeeeeell, after planning and proposing the idea to the school director, she approved the dates. Two weeks before this approved date she named me on a committee planning an "art festival" for the exact two dates she approved, which hung on 13 posters throughout the school, and resonated in the brains of approximately 280 children and 25 staff.
"What? What contest?" Was the response I received when I mentioned this during a meeting in front of 4 other personnel.
"Oh no, there's time for both."
"No there isn't."
"Yes there is. Ok well we'll just do it on Friday." (this is exactly what I had wanted to avoid which is why I planned for 2 days)
Date change #1.
Another week passes and I hear in passing that Friday is the day for the all-day all-school assembly celebrating "National Day of the Environment." (this had been in the works for weeks as well)
Date change #2.
After approaching the director with my new-found information: "Oooook Liiiiindsay. Let's do it next Thursday. The 10th. That ok?"
"Alright, I'd prefer it to be 2 days as originally planned, so how about thursday and friday?"
"Ok." She writes it down.
Date change #3.
Two days later, after having changed all 13 posters and visiting all 13 classrooms of confused children, she "realizes" there are no classes on Thursday. Nope. There's a teacher training and no children will be coming to school. (this has been in the works for weeks as well)
Date change #4.
Irate. Poster change, confused children, the godforsaken lip sync that I no longer have interest in carrying out is on FRIDAY the 11th.
Due to all the changes, many children forgot, forgot their music, or forgot their costumes. But many others did not and it was a riot. There WAS a "Billie Jean" act complete with costume, attempted moon-walking, and classic MJ moves. A group of 6th grade boys brought in their drums and did an original number. Two kindergarten girls dressed as cowgirls and preformed their own choreographed dance. Some children improvised and sang the songs that they meant to play on a disc and others did traditional Costa Rican dance in full costume. All the students and teachers alike got in to and it ended up being a success. I'm glad I persevered. I'm not sure I will repeat that format ever again. (didn't I say this after Earth Day??)
June 14th-18th was Mid-Service training. It was a time for information sharing, camaraderie, and lounging in a sweet hotel with all the amenities. Unfortunately, I became very ill mid-week with a virus mimicking dengue fever. I have never had such horrible body and joint pain in my life. Coupled with a high fever, pain behind my eyes, and chills, I spent a fair amount of time in bed longing for sleep. So I had to make a couple trips to the hospital and stayed in the capital a few extra days to ensure everything was alright. Today is the first day I'm really feeling better. Dang you virus.
So now I'm back in action. Getting ready to watch the U.S./Ghana soccer game, having just finished a few hours of laundry. But I feel re-inspired to continue with the library project-the club has officially formed and we have started meeting!!-and forge ahead with new projects and new groups as well.
Oh yeah...the rain is taking it's toll on the roads around here... Look what happened walking to school.
No comments:
Post a Comment