Saturday, July 24, 2010

For the past two-ish weeks I've been without hot water. For some reason or another my shower-head heater, supposedly "new," is extremely temperamental and will choose to stop working at any given moment and then magically start again a week or two weeks later. Always a crap shoot. Well this past Wednesday I headed in to take a shower determined that TODAY would be the day it would start working again.

Tinkering with the sliding tab, the running water remained ice cold. (expletive) Even though the outdoor temperature may be 79, at 6:30 in the morning, cold water is still just cold water. Sigh. One more try. Ta-da! The shower gods bestowed their magic.

There really aren't words to accurately describe how great a hot shower feels after being without for a while. Reveling in it's greatest, I was nearing the end when BAM! POP! I was surrounded by a shower of sparks. I screeched and lept out of the shower dripping. (also taking sudden note of the swishing sounds of machetes in my back yard and the likely confused workers) POP! WHAM! POW! The metal wire connecting the shower head to the ceiling snapped in two, and began to smoke. The bathroom smelled of burnt electrical tape and the water continued to run as I contemplated my chances of electrocution. I wasn't too thrilled at the thought of having to be found, no doubt days later, in the shower after having succumb to the powers of that stupid 6" heater... and all for a little warm water.

But clearly, I've been granted another chance and thus survived to tell the tale of my 2nd house fire in less than 3 months. Thanks for everything, Costa Rica!!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Dang - back house in your luck with the electricity! Thanks for nuttin' PC! Glad you're alive....if only to be roomies again at COS in the Crowne freakin' Plaza. X.

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh - my comment makes NO sense! What was I thinking? Must have been the red!

By 'back' I mean 'bad.' And by 'house' I mean 'luck.' And by 'luck' I mean 'house.'

Must be the "anxiety" too. Thanks for nuttin' PC.

Lindsay said...

yeeeaahh... I was left a tad confused. AA's on tuesdays at 5. "Hiiiiii Rebecca"

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Do we need to send a fire extinguisher?!?!?